Wednesday 10 June 2020

Black Lives Matter

Black Lives Matter - Wikipedia
                                                     

Hey guys!


In the wake of George Floyd's death, many of us have been thinking about racism at home and abroad.

I thought long and hard about what to say, how to say it and when I should. The current protests happening worldwide are a wake-up call to many, but for others it came as a shock, some even outraged by the protests. 

I support the protests and have acknowledged that I will never know the struggle people of colour face every single day. I have stood up for people, both friends and strangers, when I knew they were being discriminated against and I have tried to educate myself on the movement and systemic racism around the world.

I wanted to share this post to let everyone know I stand with them, I may not fully understand how the pressures, fears and discriminatory acts feel but I can do my best to listen and learn.

There is no room for racism in my life and I respect everyone, a human being is a human being, it is your actions that define you, not how you were born. To judge someone on something as superficial as the colour of their skin is just something I cannot and will never comprehend.

For those who want to educate themselves, I have some resources below that I myself have used and learned from.

Books

We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates

We Were Eight Years in Power by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Ta-Nehisi Coates is an American author who explores race relations in many of his pieces and discusses cultural, political and social issues surrounding African Americans and white supremacy in America.

The book is a compilation of a number of Atlantic articles written during Obama's presidency which highlighted that any black progress was always met with societal backlash. It was eye-opening to read and I would recommend this to anyone and everyone.


White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About ...

White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo 
DiAngelo explores how white people endorse racial inequality in their reactions to their assumptions and understanding about race being challenged.

Discussing how society is still largely segregated (in her opinion to insulate white people from racial discomfort), it did open my eyes to how things I do everyday have given me the opportunity to (and I'm sure I have inadvertently done so) participate in racist systems.


I do have more books I need to read and I will have an updated post after I have read them!


TV Shows and Movies 

NAACP Image Awards Nominee: 'Dear White People' | All Of It | WNYC

Dear White People (Netflix)
While satirical, Dear White People highlights the biases and injustices a group of black students face at a predominantly white Ivy League university. Later seasons also draw attention to white supremacist groups and how they remain active on college campuses and around the world.

Logan Browning (Samantha) is also a fantastic actress and it is worth reading this piece in The Georgetown Voice.


If Beale Street Could Talk - *NEW MOVIE* - The Blue Loon

If Beale Street Could Talk
This movie is amazing. Centering on a young couple from Harlem, it follows their struggle after Fonny, a black man, is arrested for a crime he did not commit.

A classic love story halted by a grudge-bearing white cop, this movie is a must-see but only scratches the surface on the struggles faced by African Americans in the 1970s and today.


Amazon.com: Watch Selma | Prime Video

Selma 
Selma follows civil rights demonstrators as they marched from Selma to Montgomery in 1965. I learned about the marches in school but the emotions in this movie really bring it home. Culminating in the Voting Rights Act 1965, many believed that was the start of the end of systemic racism in America.

It's harrowing to believe 55 years later almost nothing has changed. The movie was made in 2014 and is a harrowing reminder that those who do not acknowledge the wrongs in history are doomed to repeat them.


There are countless movies and series that I have yet to watch, 13th on Netflix being one of these. I will update my list on ways to educate yourself after I have educated myself some more.


Resources






Donate 





Support Irish Black Owned Businesses 

Eviye Brand is a handmade, organic and vegan cosmetics company.

Bees of Honey is a self-care pack and items can now be bought individually as well.

Whipped sells cruelty free body butter (skincare).

Nectar and Ambrosia Cakes (bakery) with delivery in Dublin.

BvdGyalBrand lashes to order.

Irish Black Owned Instagram highlights a lot of black owned Irish businesses and is well worth checking out and following!


The final thing I have to say is do not stay silent. Stand up, speak up and actively acknowledge how you have played a part in the systemic racism that is still part of our world.


Ciara
 xoxo

Snapchat: Ciarakxo

No comments:

Post a Comment