Saturday 27 January 2018

iElectron Review


Hey guys!

If you've been following me on social media, you'll know that since exams were over (just before Christmas) I sent my laptop away for repair because it was causing me serious issues!

I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about the tech world so I handed my laptop over to my dad, who is well versed in everything tech, to take care of the situation for me. 

After originally contacting Dell, the company that makes my laptop, they said my laptop needed a motherboard replacement and while I knew it was necessary, I also knew it would take ages and I wanted it back for when semester two started.

After some research, we decided to go with iElectron in Cork because I was going to be there over the festive period. After contacting them and explaining the issue, we were told they would be able to repair the laptop at component level and an entire motherboard replacement was not necessary. They even went as far as offering a free courier pickup from Dublin but as we were travelling down, we politely declined the offer.

I had issues switching on my laptop, it was taking forever to switch on and I would have to click the button quite a few times to get any reaction.

For me, iElectron seemed like the best solution. For a €20 deposit, they would run a diagnostic and then let me know what the issue was and how much the repair would cost.

On their website, iElectron says, 
'We repair any and all motherboard problems at a component level, providing a cost effective solution to an array of motherboard issues.'
while also claiming that they 'fix issues powering on a laptop'

I dropped the laptop off before Christmas and when I was told I could pickup the laptop, I brought my dad along with me because he knew all the jargon they would use when describing the issue.

When we went to collect the laptop, they said they couldn't repair it. They told us the issue was the issue we described when dropping it off and they acted like we didn't have a clue about what was wrong in the first place. However, when dropping the laptop off, my dad had described the issue to the employee who took note of what he said.

My dad then asked would we be getting the deposit back as the deposit is a deposit on the repair they carry out. When the employee said no, my dad and myself were both shocked. While I understand they were not in a position to fix the laptop, they should not have said the could when we had contacted them previously. Before we brought the laptop down, we contacted the company, described the issue in detail and were told that they could indeed fix my laptop at component level. On an ethics level and general customer satisfaction level, when the company had to go back on their word and not even offer an apology, they should've given us the deposit back or at least have said sorry for misleading us in the first place.

iElectron is a company I most certainly would not recommend to anyone looking for a motherboard repair and from looking at more recent reviews of theirs, based on iPhone repairs, I would not be going there for something like that either!                          

Thankfully, a company called TechHelp, who we've used previously for a MacBook repair, based in Lucan, were able to fix my laptop and it's like a brand new machine (They carried out a GPU reflow)! I got it back on Tuesday, which was basically the start of the semester and my power on button is fixed! I haven't encountered any problems with it yet (and hopefully I won't) and I also have a three month warranty on it.

I have provided links below, one to iElectron's page on motherboard repairs where they claim to have the ability to fix the issue I encountered, which they most definitely cannot do, and to TechHelp, who were very helpful!

Have you ever encountered an experience like this?
How did you handle it?
Let me know in the comments below!

Ciara,
xoxo.
Bloglovin: www.bloglovin.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/sparkleofpink
Snapchat: Ciarakxo



http://techhelp.ie/


Since posting this review, iElectron have gotten in contact with me and apologised for the way the situation was handled.




No comments:

Post a Comment