Tuesday 4 June 2019

Why I Took A Break From Blogging


Hey guys!

So it has been almost four months since I last posted on Sparkle of Pink. While I remained kind of active on social media, I really just focused on final semester and was also working through some life setbacks over the past few months.

I needed to take some time to focus on myself and what I see myself doing in the future.

As many of you guys know, I have aspired to be a solicitor (lawyer) since my early teens and even though my undergraduate degree is in Economics, Politics and International Relations, my career aspirations firmly remained in the legal profession over the past few years.

Last summer I was on an internship in The CAMPUS in Portugal so this summer I decided to go for internships in law firms, but only applied to one or two in Dublin. What I learnt very quickly is that your Leaving Certificate results still count when going for internships like this but also that I seriously needed to invest in some office attire!

When I didn't get an internship in the law firm I really wanted to be in, I was crushed. I knew I had to pick myself up and move on but the interview feedback really stumped me. I was hearing feedback  that baffled me and I couldn't understand how the impression I gave off was completely opposite to what I will achieve in life. I was essentially told to look at different fields because law was not for me and to hear that was like the end of the world for me.

It took me a few weeks to digest the feedback and quite a lot of tears fell but looking back now, I needed a wake-up call like that. I have since secured an internship in a law firm this summer and hope to gain some invaluable experience during my month there!

I've also finished my undergraduate degree (with final results coming this Friday!) and have been provisionally accepted to a Masters course in UCD. It took a lot of thought and research but as I still want to pursue a legal career, I have decided to study for a Masters of Common Law (MCL) in UCD for the next two years, beginning in September 2019!

I needed to take a break to fully figure out what it is I see myself doing with the rest of my life and if further study was what I needed in order to achieve this. I do plan on continuing with Sparkle of Pink throughout the summer and over the next two years but I will take some time off every now and then to focus on my studies as well as my general well-being.


My attitude completely changed after some of the feedback I received after interviews and I am more determined than ever to go out there and get what I know I want. I may not have gotten 600+ points in a series of memory-focused exams three years ago (I still don't even understand why my Leaving Cert points would have any relevance post-college degree...) nor is Law my primary degree but give me the knowledge and starting point and I will excel in any situation I am placed in. 

It is going to take me a year longer than any undergraduate law student to get to the FE1s but I will get there and this year's setback will really be the platform for my future career.

As always, leave a comment below if you've ever experienced a setback like this yourself!
I'll be posting my NYC haul in the coming weeks and after that, maybe a haul from Cannes, as I'm going there next week!

Ciara,
xoxo.
Snapchat: Ciarakxo

No comments:

Post a Comment