Monday 21 January 2019

Semester Two Tips and Tricks


Hey guys!

Semester Two has started for me this week and it's kind of bittersweet because it is the beginning of my last semester in UCD. 

As of today, I have twelve weeks left as a college undergrad and I'm not going to lie, it is daunting. I've got some major decisions to make about my future over the next few weeks. I have to send applications in, hope for the best and also just plan for the future.

It is something I am very excited for but at the same time, I can't help but feel like I'm leaving the best few years of my life behind. I have loved college and know I've made friends for life over the course of the last two and a half years.

I've become more confident as a person and am so glad to have put secondary school behind me. As a senior (I couldn't help it, if freshers can be called freshers, I can call myself a senior), I like to think I have some knowledge to pass onto my underclassmen as well as seniors who find themselves struggling in the final semester.

I have compiled a list of tips and tricks that I stick by, and know help, during the last twelve weeks of the year. They have helped me over the past few years and if they help one other person, I'll be very happy!


Stay on Top of Your Readings!


This one seems so simple, but you would be surprised with the amount of students who say they have fallen behind on readings by week two. I know the initial reading list of any module may seem daunting but setting aside a half hour, to an hour, every evening and sitting down to read a chapter or two will stand to you during midterms and finals.

Start as you mean to go on. Print off your readings lists and when it is available online, perfect. If not, check the library before you go out to buy a book. It'll save you money and it's always good to familiarise yourself with the library as well!


Highlighters are Your Best Friend.


Making notes is so important for any class. If you find yourself going through readings, if you own the book, highlight the important sections or parts you want to remember. However, if you don't own the book, writing out short notes on the section is a great way to study later on, and highlight the key words so you can  recall more from the buzzword! 

Do not be afraid of highlighters. Even in a lecture, if your lecturer heavily hints something or says something is important, highlight it within your notes! Using a highlighter as a subtle reminder to yourself is one of the best ways to revise in the future.

Don't however, highlight an entire paragraph or page. If your page is more colour than print, you need to put the highlighter down and reevaluate the page before you continue on with your revision!


Balance is Key.


Finding a balance in college is one of the most important life skills you will learn throughout your degree. Finding a balance between studies, social life and work is easier to do during the first few weeks of the semesters because it will be too overwhelming to consider during the last few weeks of term.

If you have a part-time job, like me, then your weekends are pretty much set aside for the job. It's not all bad though because at the end of the day you have money to spend or save, while still having the evenings for friends and family.

Incorporating health and fitness into your routine is a must. Whether it is a short walk every evening or a gym session during the day, exercise is one of the most important parts of your day. Meditation or keeping a journal could help your stress levels too.

Finding balance can be difficult but remember to have time for your studies, your friends and family and for you.


Weekly Planners Save Time.

Weekly Planners are something I cannot live without now. Every weekend, I take about 10 minutes, to write out my rough plan for the week, so I know what I'll be doing and where I need to be, each day of the week.

It is easier to use when I'm in college and I always include a rough evening plan to incorporate readings, revision, health and down time. 

I bought mine (pictured above) in Dealz and there are 52 sheets on it so it will definitely last you the year!


Due Dates/Midterms are Always Closer Than You Think!

If you're that person who doesn't put a due date/midterm date into their phone or planner and just say 'Ah sure it's in week x', YOU NEED TO STOP! Due dates/Midterms are always closer than you think. If you don't get your act together until week three/four, you're already behind.

Midterms or essays are usually between week five and seven of the semester which means you have to be on top of things from the get go! Once you know when a midterm will be or when an essay is due, put it into your phone/planner and make sure you regularly check the calendar.

Someone once told me, if you need an extension, look in your calendar, two weeks before something is due, write 'ESSAY DUE TODAY' into the diary and boom, there's your extension! Don't panic with how close due dates may seem but do not neglect the fact that they do exist and you need to be aware of them.


Go to Office Hours!


Every semester starts with the lecturer saying when their office hours are and it almost instantly goes to the back of countless minds in the room. Speaking from experience, office hours or subject help centres are profoundly useful. 

Not only does it give you the opportunity to build a relationship with your lecturer (this can help you when looking for references in the future) but also the chance to discuss something that intrigues you or something you don't quite understand, with someone who can guide you in the right direction and provide another insight into a particular topic.

If you have any queries or would just like assignment advice from your lecturer, going to their office hours is ALWAYS better than sending them an email.


Make Notes on a Weekly/Chapter Basis.


I cannot stress this tip enough! In first year, I had a nasty habit of leaving my note-making until the last minute (two or three days before the exam) and my stress levels were self-imposed and too high. 

Over the past couple years I've started to make notes on a chapter or topic basis in each module I'm taking. I left this until the weekend as a topic was usually finished during the last lecture of the week. Sometimes, it took longer than a week to cover a topic so sticking to the weekly target was unrealistic in that sense.

Setting aside an hour per module over the weekend (Thankfully, I have a three day weekend this semester!), to write out your notes can save time when it comes to midterms or finals and well as reducing your overall stress levels because you feel more relaxed and prepared when exam season comes around.


Make the Most of Breaks!


UCD's mid-semester break is in March this year so Semester 2 is broken into seven and five teaching weeks for me. The break is technically a 'fieldwork/study period' but two weeks is a long time.

I hope to go away for a few days over the two weeks because I can't say no to a city break and I don't plan on splitting my two weeks between college work and my part-time job. I think of it as a little spring break with college work built-in.

Taking some time for yourself, even if it's just a day or two of tv catch-up at home, is essential for any break in college. 

Don't get bogged down by the work due after your time off, set aside some time for everything. Most importantly, refresh yourself for the remainder of the semester!


Refreshers' Day.


If you missed the opportunity to join a society or club at the start of the year, or you're an exchange/Erasmus student who wants to get more involved in uni life, refreshers' day is definitely for you!

Each society/club should have a stand which gives you another opportunity to join a society or club that you didn't get the chance to previously. If you're still sceptical about some societies, don't be afraid to ask them questions! Having been on both sides of the table, I know how daunting it can be to ask questions to committees but we also love to answer your questions/welcome new members when we get the opportunity to!

Check out your SU's website for when Refreshers' Day is for you! In UCD, it is January 30th this year!


Support is There For You!


If you ever feel overwhelmed or just need somebody to talk to, there is always somebody there to help.

Your friends and family will prove an invaluable asset during your college years and spending some time with them can really help you through difficult times. If you need additional/further support, always get in touch with your SU for help and guidance.

If you need support with a specific module, your lecturer or tutor is there to help! Office hours are your friend and even if you haven't attended everything you were supposed to, your lecturer will still be there should you need them.

Never feel alone and always reach out to someone if you're going through a difficult time, whether it is in college or life. You are never alone. Someone is always there to help and guide you through difficult situations.


Good luck to everyone heading into their second semester and if it's your final semester, make the most of it! I know I will be!

Ciara,
xoxo.
Snapchat: Ciarakxo




No comments:

Post a Comment