Sunday 2 August 2015

Only Ever Yours Review


I picked up this book in a bookstore last year and read the blurb but decided it wasn't for me. I have literally seen it everywhere since last year so I decided I would bring it on holidays this year and read it on the beach.

I read it in a day. I was hooked and I couldn't put it down. Set in what seems to be a private all girls' school in post apocalyptic Europe, Louise O'Neill's debut novel is captivating from the very first page.

In this novel, girls are raised from birth to be beautiful, submissive and always available for men's pleasure. The only thing that worries these girls are the weekly poll competitions to see who's on top, which girl is the number one 'eve'. The men who vote for the girls may choose one of them as a mate when they reach their 16th year, their final year in the school. 

The girls are nothing but clones. Created to serve the men around them and to keep the human race alive. This novel follows Frieda, an eve in her final year. Freida has never been number one but has a high chance of marrying an Inheritant at the end of the year when the ceremony takes place. Freida must struggle through her last year without her best friend Isabel and the stress of being 'perfect' finally getting to her,

I loved this book until I got to the last chapter. Without giving anything away, it is a major let down. You are lead to believe one thing for the majority of the book and then disaster strikes in a plot twist you definitely didn't expect. 

Only Ever Yours will leave you itching to discuss the book with others but I definitely think the ending is a let down.

The book is available from Easons for €10.99.

Have you ever read Only Ever Yours?
Would you recommend it to others?
Let me know in the comments below!

Ciara,

xoxo.

Bloglovin: www.bloglovin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment